This easy Grilled Onions recipe is a snap to cook on the grill. You can prep them well ahead of time, and then get them on the grill either while your steak is resting or while it's cooking. It's the perfect side dish to go along with a Rib Eye Steak, a Grilled Roast or as a topping to Hamburgers.
Quite often I make these when I'm cooking a steak on the grill. In the past I've shied away from using the blacken, and just stayed with the Kosher Salt and Black Pepper. I was amazed at how much better these tasted with the Cajun spice flavors of the blacken seasoning blend.
- 1 Large Vidalia Onion, or other sweet onion
- Round Toothpicks
- Vegetable Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- Butt Kickin' Blacken, Original Recipe, to taste
1. Peel the onions, and slice into 1/2" rings. Then, place 3 toothpicks through the edge, evenly spaced. This will keep the onion slices from coming apart while they're cooking.
2. Oil well then sprinkle with Kosher salt, pepper, and blacken.
3. We all make a mistakes now and then, and I'm no exception. I didn't look and the wrong lid was open on the pepper container. I just cleaned it off and continued on. Or, you can elliminate the Pepper and Original Recipe and use my new American Steakhouse Blend.
4. Grill about 7 minutes on the first side. Flip, and grill for another 3 minutes or so. Be careful when you flip them because, even with the toothpicks, they tend to fall apart real easy. I prefer to cook with the tapered side up for the first side.
Feedback is GREAT!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, or any other of my recipes you've either looked at or tried.
Just send me a note:
- Whether or not you like this recipe and why.
- How you'd like to see it different.
- Suggestions for new recipes I could post.
- Recipes you've made using Butt Kickin' Blacken.