Jerked, Pineapple Salsa
This is one side dish that I use quite often to accompany either chicken or seafood. It's an integral part of my Shrimp Shooters Recipe, and goes real well with Blackened Grouper or Blackened Mahi Mahi.
You can make it in a Mojito Style by adding mint, or Southwestern by adding Cilantro and changing the blacken to my Southwest Blend. And better yet, adding a little rum turns it into an "adult" salsa.
I even kick up the "afterburn" by adding some of my Butt Kickin' Barbecue Sauce! MY latest addition though, is my Orange Marmalade BBQ Sauce. If you've got any leftover from using it with my Orange Marmalade Glazed, Chicken Thighs recipe, add to this Salsa to really take it up a notch.
- 1/2 Large Fresh Pineapple
- 1 Large Habanero Chile Pepper, seeded, and minced fine.
- 2 Large Jalapeno Chile Peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 Large Red Bell Pepper, minced
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice Concentrate
- 1 Tablespoon Butt Kickin' Blacken, Jamaican Jerk
- 1/4 Cup Rum, optional
- 1/4 Cup Butt Kickin' Barbecue Sauce, optional
1. Prepare the pineapple by first cutting the top and bottom off, then stand it on end and trim the skin and the eyes.
Cut the pineapple in half, lengthwise, then cut one half into half again. Remove the core from both quarters.
Slice the pineapple lengthwise into slices a little over 1/8" thick, then slice each of these pieces into little strips. Mince these and place in a bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. The addition of my BBQ Sauce creates some extra heat, and helps to thicken the sauce.
3. This is best prepared a day ahead which will give it enough time for the flavors to blend.
Feedback is GREAT!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, or any other of my recipes you've either looked at or tried.
Just send me a note:
- Whether or not you like this recipe and why.
- How you'd like to see it different.
- Suggestions for new recipes I could post.
- Recipes you've made using Butt Kickin' Blacken.