By Cap'n Ron
Updated: December 28, 2011
This is an easy shrimp appetizer or hors d'oeuvre recipe that'll wow your guests. Using my Butt Kickin' Blacken, really gives a lot of flavor to these blackened shrimp.
Variations of this dish could be made with chicken, scallops, beef, etc.
This recipe always comes out great, and it's an easy do ahead, because it's usually served at room temperature, or right out of the refrigerator..
I like buying 31 - 40 count shrimp, in order to get about 15 appetizers. If you're buying smaller shrimp, you might want to place 3 on each skewer.
I generally serve them with Chipotle Sauce , but that could add some extra spicy heat to this dish. For a milder version you might want Lime, Sour Cream spread on top.
1. Clean the shrimp and place them in a non-reactive bowl
2. Add the blacken, mix well, then place in a plastic bag for at least an hour, but up to 4 hours
3. Thread 2 - 3 shrimp on each skewer and grill about 2 minutes on each side.
4. Drizzle with a little lemon juice, then, little Chipotle Sauce.
5. Optional Method:
Perform steps 1 and 2, then go to step #6
6. Heat a saute pan to medium hot, then, add some butter and vegetable oil in equal amounts (the oil increases the burning point of the butter). Add shrimp, being careful that you don't crowd the pan, cook about 2 minutes then flip them over and cook another 2 minutes. You want to cook them until they just turn pink all the way through.
Overcooking shrimp will make them tough and rubbery.
7. Let them come to room temperature, and place 2 pieces on each skewer.
8. Serve with Cajun Remoulade in a squirt bottle.
Feedback is GREAT! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, or any other of my recipes you've either looked at or tried.
Just send me a note: Whether or not you like this recipe and why.
How you'd like to see it different.
Suggestions for new recipes I could post.
Recipes you've made using Butt Kickin' Blacken.