Sweet Potato Hash
I was originally going to post this recipe on the "Leftovers" page, but it was so good, I had to make it again, so that I could do it as I've shown in the recipe. It's really just as good either way.
If you want to make it from leftovers: Replace the ":Deli" ham with leftover ham from the Jamaican Jerled, Baked Ham. And you could replace the orange juice mixture with the Basting Sauce from the same recipe.
1. Place the orange juice, sugar, and blacken in a small pot over high heat and reduce until it's about 1/4 cup.
2. Cut the carrots into 1/8" x 1/8" x 2" pieces, Julienne, and place in salted water. After about 5 minutes, drain, then refill with cold water. Bring to a boil, then boil for about 3 minutes. Drain them and add them to a bowl large enough to hold all of the ingredients.
Ron's Note : Rinsing the sweet potatoes first eliminates the surface starch, and the potatoes will stay separate when cooked. You Par Boil them because they take longer to cook than the onions and the ham do.
3. Cut the ham into 1/4" strips by about 2" long, and the onions into very thin slices, and add them to the bowl.
4. Stir in the orange sauce, and the extra blacken, and toss until everything's well coated.
5. Place this in a pan, and cook on low, covered, until the onions are done. Take the lid off, turn to high, toss, and cook another 5 minutes.
Feedback is GREAT!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, or any other of my recipes you've either looked at or tried.
Just send me a note:
- Whether or not you like this recipe and why.
- How you'd like to see it different.
- Suggestions for new recipes I could post.
- Recipes you've made using Butt Kickin' Blacken.